Three-Month Old Hard Drive Dying

March 12, 2010

After booting my computer last night, Windows told me it had detected a hard disk problem. It suggested I backup critical data. I thought it might have been a bit overzealous (as Windows has been known to say things it doesn't really mean), so I downloaded the Seagate tools to do some tests.

The two basic tests in Seagate tools failed. It immediately popped up a window with warranty information. That was enough to accept that this 3-month old Seagate 7200.12 500GB hard drive was dying. I took it out and today went back to the shop I got it from to return it. Apparently they'll send it off for repair, which could take 3-6 weeks...

I ended up buying another hard drive, because I can't wait that long. I can always use the repaired one as a second drive. Perhaps tempting fate, I bought another Seagate.
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

No comments: