Japan: Trip to Miyako

November 13, 2007

The wife and I spent the past three days on Miyako Island in Okinawa, which is a 2-plane, 3.5-hour trip from Kobe.

Miyako, like the rest of Okinawa, is very much "island lifestyle" - that is, everything is laid back and relaxing. The speed limit is 40km, the music on the radio is distinctly chill-out guitar (Okinawan music is itself a genre), and everyone is friendly. We stayed at the Allamanda Shigira Bayside Suite which was great except for the bed, which looked and felt nice, but for some reason did not give a good night's sleep (the sheets were rather loud).

We hired a car and drove around to various spots on the island for food, views and shopping. Tried to see a beach sunset on the first day but it was too cloudy, and we didn't actually find the beach. Went to three beaches on the second day and had a dip in one of them (first time I've been to the beach in ages). Went to a Greek restaurant for lunch, which is the first Greek restaurant I've seen/been to in Japan at all.

Final day, we made a couple of clay shisa, which turned out really good. They'll be sent to us in a month's time due to kilning. For lunch, went to the only(?) taco rice place on the island, where I ate too much.

All in all, our trip to Miyako Island was very good. Recommended if you're looking for a relaxing-type holiday.

PS. I think I lost my DS somewhere between Okinawa Naha airport and home, because I can't find it :(
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

No comments: